Our Getting Close to Nature trip brings you and your family in for an intimate eco-travel experience. Spend some time volunteering with wildlife rescue operations, visit parks and learn about the beauty of our country. Contact us today to start customizing this package.
This is just one example, we can adjust this trip to include more off the beaten path areas such as San Gerardo de Dota or Sarapiqui. Contact us to customize this trip experience.
Day 1 ~ Arrival
- Private Transfer to Arenal – (approx. 3 hours) – Your driver will be waiting outside the airport holding a sign with your name on it. Off you go to the famous Arenal volcano and the adventure capital pf Costa Rica. On your way into the mountains enjoy the scenic views as you make your way North. Vehicles equipped with WiFi.
- Check In Arenal Observatory Lodge – La Casona or similar lodge
Day 2 ~ Arenal ~ (B)
- Caño Negro Boat Tour – You’ll do a peaceful boat ride in an area unsurpassed in natural beauty – wildlife guaranteed! The Caño Negro Wildlife Refuge together with Río Frío is a biologically humid area, one of Costa Rica’s richest areas of biological diversity. Here you can find a great variety of resident and migratory birds, three different species of monkeys, iguanas, sloths, turtles, and caimans.
Day 3 ~ Arenal ~ (B)
- Volunteer at Proyecto Asís – This hands-on one-day volunteer project puts you in direct contact with local fauna and flora in a very down-to-earth environment. We start with an easy 30-minute orientation walk through secondary rainforest that surrounds the wild animal rescue shelter to get to know the story behind this grassroots endeavor. Proyecto Asis was established about 12 years ago – Proyecto Asis founder Don Jaime del Castillo and his son Alvaro had a dream to turn the once-abandoned farm back into vibrant rainforest while providing a sanctuary for hundreds of species of birds and other wildlife. You will be put to work feeding a few of the animals such as wild boars, sloths, kinkajous, monkeys, caimans & more along the way, plus other helpful activities such as trail repair, cage building, painting, planting trees and more. Throughout the day, you’ll get a good understanding of how Proyecto Asis works to rehabilitate injured and abandoned animals & release them back to their environment, as well as educational programs underway to help prevent hunting and poaching of the surrounding Children’s Eternal Rainforest that connects with Monteverde.
Day 4 ~ Arenal ~ Monteverde ~ (B)
- Boat / Jeep transfer to Monteverde – An adventure in itself, travel by boat across lake Arenal and then 4×4 to Monteverde. This is the fastest and a very scenic way to travel between the Arenal Vocano and the cloud forests of Monteverde. This transfer operates in either direction and you get great views of the Arenal Volcano and the unspoiled and tropical Lake Arenal.
- Check In Rustic Lodge – Standard Room or similar lodge
- Hidden Valley Night Tour – Located near the Cerro Plano area between Santa Elena and the Monteverde Reserve the Hidden Valley trail offers the ideal forest and elevation to view the incredible wildlife of the tropics. For those who wish to observe wonders hidden in the forest after dark, we offer guided night hikes. The tour begins just before nightfall, allowing us to see a wide variety of nocturnal creatures. The walk starts at 5:30 pm after enjoying the beautiful sunset guests will be amazed the forest seems to awaken during the transition to night. The naturalist guide will explain many of the unique features of the forest and creatures that inhabit it while navigating the trails, the tour ends at 7:30 P.M. The Hidden Valley organization is committed to seeing protected areas like Hidden Valley Trail carry on forever in hopes of guaranteeing a better quality of life for future generations. At that time when founder David Savage acquired 11 hectares of the tropical forest much of the surrounding land was being converted to farming however the Savage family resisted and decided to protect it, preserving it into what is today Hidden Valley Trail.
Day 5 ~ Monteverde ~ (B)
- Day at Selvatura Park – Hanging Bridges, Hummingbird Gardens, Butterfly Gardens
- Selvatura’sTree Top Walkways consist of a1.9 mile(approximately 3 kilometer) trail that crosses through the Monteverde Cloud Forest. Here visitors will walk on eight different bridges with various lengths ranging between 150 feet ( 50 meters ) up to 510 feet (170 meters) and altitudes ranging between 36 feet ( 12 meters ) up to 180 feet ( 60 meters ).Each bridge has a width of five feet, the widest bridges in Costa Rica, and also a capacity of up to 80 people per bridge making them both the longest and strongest bridge systems in the Monteverde Cloud Forest.
- Hummingbird Garden – Imagine yourself in a beautiful garden. Now imagine over 100 beautiful hummingbirds flying cheerfully around you! has to offer you. More than 14 species of hummingbirds will amaze you with their incredible aerial maneuvers and bright lively colors.
- Butterfly Gardens – Venture into exploring a different world. A world in which a controlled climate provides the best temperature (82.4º F or 28º C) for its inhabitants to feel in paradise. Explore a community that gathers more than 20 species of butterflies. Learn about their life cycle, their special abilities and behaviors that have helped them evolve throughout thousands of years. Enjoy a guided walk inside one of the world’s largest live butterfly exhibitions with an area of over 29,000 square feet (2,700 square meters). Come and enjoy all the wonders that you may discover in this marvelous World of Butterflies.
Day 6 ~ Monteverde ~ Manuel Antonio ~ (B)
- Private transfer to Manuel Antonio – Tarcoles River Bridge – Scenic Stop – During the journey to Manuel Antonio, we have arranged for a stop along the way to help break the trip up a little. The Tarcoles River bridge home of many Crocodiles some up to 6 meters in length. This is a stop to stretch your legs, take some nice photos and be on the road again (15 – 20 minute stop)
- Check In La Posada – La Casa 2 bedroom or similar hotel or lodge
Day 7 ~ Manuel Antonio ~ (B)
- Manuel Antonio Park Hike with Naturalist Guide – Your naturalist guide will take you through the world renowned Manuel Antonio Park. This informative hike will teach you about the complexity of the rain forest while pointing out many species of birds, mammals, reptiles, flora & fauna. Enjoy the pristine white sand beaches within Manuel Antonio Park and marvel at the rainforest that surrounds you.
Day 8 ~Manuel Antonio ~ (B)
- Sunset Catamaran Sailing Tour – The afternoon tour is a truly amazing trip for nature lovers who will enjoy not only the experience itself but the breathtaking sunset of the Pacific Ocean. Humpback whales, and dolphins as well as other beautiful marine life can be witnessed on our catamaran tour. On board we offer an excellent variety of snacks and natural drinks. These can be enjoyed while navigating along the coast with the ocean breeze and the sun, helping you to enjoy this tropical paradise.
Day 9 ~ Manuel Antonio ~ (B)
- Free Day / Optional Tour Day
Day 10 ~ Departure ~ (San Jose)
- Private Transfer to Airport
Contact us today to customize this Costa Rica travel experience!
- All Transfers Listed Unless Noted Otherwise
- All Hotels Listed
- All Tours Listed Unless Noted Otherwise
- Meals Indicated Daily as (B,L,D)
- All Transfer, Hotel, & Tour Taxes
- Free 24 Hour Trip Support
- Satisfaction Guarantee
- An Adventure of a Lifetime